Many of us have been working from home for the better part of the year. Although different parts of the world are at different stages, I know that many people are starting to make their way back to the office. So here are my five tips for the move back:
- Start slow. If it is possible, go back 2-3 days a week rather than the full week. At my office we had a ‘month transition’ and instead of waiting for the last possible day to go back to the office I started going back a few days a week.
- Be kind to yourself. Understand that the transition back is hard and potentially anxiety provoking. Be extra kind to yourself and expect to be tired.
- Get back to routine. If you know that you are heading back to the office soon ensure that you get back into a routine prior to going back. If you have been sleeping in, try to start kicking that habit now.
- Socialise- One of the best parts about being in an office environment is socialising in person (who else shudders when they think about ‘zoom drinks’?). Take the time to chat in real life!
- Rejig your 2020 goals- Now is the time to look at those 2020 goals that you wrote at the start of the year and rejig them. We need to accept that this year is not what we expected and replan accordingly.
academia, career, Careers, early career researcher, jobs after phd, lecturer, phd, phd blog, phdlife, return to work, student, student blog, work, work from home
Leave a Reply