The Year Countdown
If you follow me on Instagram you would have seen my post the other day about how it is officially a year until my PhD is due to be completed. Although hitting the year count down is stressful, as it feels that I have a minimum 47 years worth of work left, it has also given me motivation (& is helping me get out of ‘the slump’).
I have already felt like that in the last two weeks or so, I have been much more productive, so I wanted to list a few things I’m going to do to try to help me reach the year deadline.
- Use my calendar religiously- I have always been organised with my diaries and calendar, however as things get busier it is getting easy to forget things. I make sure I put all deadlines, to do lists, and social events straight into my calendar. I am also still finding time blocking to be so helpful.
- Be in a routine- I wrote a blog post a few weeks ago about how I have been trying hard to get a routine back, and it has honestly helped my PhD productivity so much.
- Say no to things– I have always tried to fit a lot into my life, in terms of jobs, volunteering positions, blogging, adventuring, and seeing my friends and family regularly. Whilst, I still want to do lots of things, I am starting to realise that I need to say no to some of them. I only have the same 24 hours in each day and as my PhD starts to take up more of them, its either saying no, or not sleeping….
- Sort out what needs to get done- I have recently been trying to work out what I actually need to do to finish my PhD. Whilst writing it down is overwhelming, it is essential to ensure that I can keep on track.
- Actually work longer- It sounds obvious, because it is obvious. I am actually going to be spending more hours in the day on my PhD- working later into the evening and working on the weekends. Whilst it sucks, I personally think prolonging my PhD will suck more. And whilst I am going to work longer, I will still be fitting in adventures, social events, and self-care into my weeks (trust me!)