Taking Care of Yourself in Your Thirties

**In Collaboration** 

As you reach your third decade in life, there tends to be a slight shift. You’re still young and spritely for the most part, but chances are you feel a fair bit different from what you did turning 20. Your tastes and interests change, and chances are your personal goals have changed and developed somewhat too. Here are a few ways you can look after your mind and body in your thirties. 



As we reach our thirties our skin starts to change. Fine lines begin to appear, and over the course of the decade towards your forties it can begin to dry out, deeper lines, bags and sagging can all occur. There’s no miracle cure for this and no fountain of youth, but looking after your skin now can make all the difference. A good instant anti wrinkle cream will prevent fine lines from becoming deeper, and good skin oils can prevent it from becoming dry, damaged and more prone to aging. SPF is something that we should be using at all ages, but now especially if you want to keep your skin young. Purchase a foundation or moisturiser with an added SPF if you don’t want the hassle of adding another product to your routine. Carefully wash your face each evening, removing makeup, oils and pollution and finish up with an oil or night cream, an eye cream and lip balm. In the morning, pop on a light moisturiser before applying your foundation. It will create an even base for your makeup and help to protect it. 


Diet and exercise

Metabolism can begin to slow as we age. Even if you’ve always been the kind of person to eat what they want and not gain weight, this might change by the time you reach your third decade. On top of this, health issues can become more prevalent as we age, so getting serious about your health now is no bad thing. A diet rich in vitamins and minerals and an exercise routine you enjoy and gets you up and moving will do great things for your body, both now and in the future. Start thinking about where you can make improvements, you don’t need to give up the things you love. When it comes to eating, many people find that an 80/20 plan suits their lifestyle, where they’re eating healthily 80% of the time and having treats and some indulgences in the remaining 20%. It can keep you motivated and on track.


Mental health

There tends to be more pressure in your thirties than there might have been in your twenties. Your twenties are more of a ‘selfish’ time; you can go out partying, travel, spend time with friends as much as you want and jump from job to job in order to find a career that suits you. In your thirties the pressure tends to be on to get that job, find a partner and settle down, get married and have kids if you haven’t already. This can take its toll on your mental health, so always keep your wellness in mind. Speak to the doctor if you’re struggling with anxiety or depression, and make sure you’re keeping stress to a minimum. Journalling, meditation and spending time with friends can all help. 

Categories: Life

Tagged as: , , ,

Leave a Reply