1.Situation: Looking at timeline/goal sheets
“Oh look, there goes another deadline
2. Situation: When meeting someone new and they ask you what you do for work
“Please don’t ask me to explain what a PhD is, nodding and agreeing (even though you have no idea) is sufficient
3. Situation: When working in the office with colleagues
“Remember not to ask anyone what they are working on today, or how their [PhD / publication / experiment] is going. This is a safe space and they will bring it up if they want to
4. Situation: In the middle of the night
“Yes that is the exact sentence I should start my piece of writing with (the one I couldn’t think of all day!)
5. Situation: Sitting at desk early the next morning
“What was that sentence again?
6. Situation: When something has gone wrong for the 6th time in one hour
“Why exactly am I doing a PhD?
7. Situation: When going to a meeting or networking event with multiple important academics
“This is it, this is the moment everyone realises I am an imposter and I should have never been given the opportunity to do a PhD
8. Situation: Going to a seminar
“Will there be food?
9. Situation: When it is 9pm and your still working
“Having caffeine at night is bad, right?
10. Situation: When re-reading your work for editing
“What is this? I can not even understand it”
“I must be JK Rowling, because I can write”
(there is no in-between
11. Situation: When you run your statistics and find nothing interesting
“…why exactly am I doing a PhD again?”