PhD Survival Guide; How to earn additional money
Many PhD students would agree that they could do with a little extra pocket money. Here is a list of ways to earn a little extra money that you may not have thought of.
1) Online Surveys- A new fad is to complete online surveys for cash (generally paid through paypal) or vouchers. There are many, many sites which offer online surveys, so you need to do your research to ensure you are receiving the best reward for your time and that the company is not a scam. Previous sites that I have used are PureProfile and Opinion World.
2) Tutoring- Tutoring students is a great way to earn some extra money and also gain valuable experience. There are many ways you can get involved in tutoring including working for an established company, private tutoring, or many schools also have tutoring services. You will need to ensure you have the appropriate certificates (generally you will need a Child Safe Environments training and police checks).
3) Mystery Shopping- There are many mystery shopping companies that hire regularly, most of which you can apply for online and then will be sent potential tasks in your area. You can choose which tasks you want to attend, which is great for flexibility. Again, I would recommend you do research on the companies.
4) Other services- Other work which is flexible includes babysitting, dog walking, house sitting (and a long list of others). There are companies you can join which will outsource your services. Again (I know I am sounding like a broken record) ensure you do your research and have the appropriate qualifications and certificates for the different services.
5) Research Assistant (outside of Uni)- While many Universities require Research Assistants, potentially in your own lab, companies outside of uni also often need research assistants ( e.g. market research, government agencies, and non-academic research centers). This is a great place to look for extra $$ and also experience.
Click here to download this week’s PDF- a Quote Poster to hang up near your desk!
Categories: PhD Survival Guide