Things we shouldn’t just accept as PhD students
Since leaving full-time PhD work and getting a job in the industry I have been reflecting upon my time as a full time PhD student. I have realised that there are many things that we accept as PhD students that I’m not really sure we should*.
- Feeling guilty for not working on the weekend or for not being the last one in the office
- Comparing how many hours you have worked with your colleagues
- Nasty criticism from reviewers and conferences (not constructive criticism, genuinely nasty)
- Having to find money to pay for open-access publications as a graduate student
- Believing that in order to succeed, other people need to fail
- The idea that leaving academia to work in the industry is ‘weak’
- Having prolonged and extremely heightened stress just ‘be part of the PhD’
*Like all of my posts, this is only my opinion.